Saturday, July 9, 2011

Learning to Eat


The moment we're born we have the innate understanding that we need to eat. If you've ever seen a newborn who is offered the breast or a bottle, you've seen first hand that this instinct is indeed a fact. At some point babies go from eating what they need to eating what they want, like, don't like etc. And at that point in our lives some of us start on the roller coaster of dieting.

I've said before that overweight people are not overweight because they are hungry. How can anyone possibly be THAT hungry? People overeat for a variety of reasons. I for one love the taste and texture of food. I love the crunch, the sweet, the salty. I eat when I'm happy, sad, bored, with friends...in other words I love food.

In my lifetime I've tried to lose weight more times than I can count. If only I'd kept off the weight I'd lost over time I'd be invisible by now! After 26 years of being very overweight I am ready to have bariatric surgery. Part of my responsibility to prepare for surgery is to see a registered dietitian so that I can come to understand what life will be like after surgery and to start preparing my mind and body now.

Today I went to the first of 3 classes with Lauren, my doctor's dietitian. Today we learned about some of the things that will have to change after the surgery. I think one of the biggest things is that I will not be able to drink along with a meal. Think about it...most of us have a drink when we sit down to a meal. Take a bite, drink a sip, take 2 bites, take a longer drink. I am also on the quest to stop drinking carbonated beverages which for mean means Diet Coke. Carbonated beverages can actually stretch your stomach and after having this surgery that is the last thing I want to do. I wonder if I can let it sit out and go flat? I'll have to ask about that. I also found out that caffeine is also not good for people who have had bariatric surgery because of the malabsorption problems that patients will develop due to the nature of the surgery.

I have done Weight Watchers so many times that I do know what I SHOULD be eating. I know about portions, and water and protien and carbs and vegetables and fruit. I'm feeling ready to do this for real. I understand that the surgery is a tool to help me and not a solution to my problems. Life after surgery is going to take some adjustment. There will be liquid diets about a week before the surgery and then for about 2 weeks after that to give the wound time to heal.

I have been asked by my doctor to lose 15 pounds before my surgery which will likely take place in late September or early October. So...today after my class I went grocery shopping. Protein shakes, fruit and healthy food fill my cupboards. Here we go.

3 comments:

  1. You can do it!!! I have faith. I have noticed that a 1 mile walk 4x a week helps a lot too. Just make sure you keep it brisk! I am excited to see your transformation and to hear about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this, Rennie. I have cut out carbonated beverages before. It's my indulgence right now. I have ONE caffeine free Diet Coke each day and I LOVE it! Not drinking with my meal would be very difficult for me, but Europeans do it all the time : )

    I loved meeting with the dietitian. She is really into Intuitive Eating, and I have learned a lot from her and am in the process of reading the book. I don't know if you have read my blog recently, but I did blog about it. I do a lot of "mindless" eating so she helped me through that.

    Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm walking in the morning if you want to go!! I'm only allowed 30 minutes right now.

    ReplyDelete