Friday, April 6, 2012

Out With The Old, In With The New

On Monday morning I took all of the clothes that I'd purged from my closet to the various places I'd decided to get rid of them.

My first stop was Clothes Mentor, a consignment shop for women's clothing. I took the 3 bins in knowing that they wouldn't keep it all but hoping to make a few bucks. They took a few things and I made $38. Not too bad. I took the other things over to Goodwill.

As I dumped my clothes into a cart at Goodwill I had a feeling of melancholy come over me. I was dumping my life into the bins. The dresses I had worn to my daughters' weddings, clothes I wore in family pictures, my favorite old sweatshirt, jeans I'd worn when I'd gotten "skinny" when I was sick a few years ago. I think that for a split second I wanted to grab them all and take them back home but I got in my car and drove away from the "old" me. In some ways it was liberating and at the same time there's still a bit of sadness a few days later. I haven't really wrapped my brain around it.

The sadness was eased on Wednesday when I stepped on the scale and realized that I'd lost 70 pounds! What a great day! Next goal...80 pounds. Today I am down 71.8!

The other day my youngest daughter send me a text asking if I'd like her to bring home some of the jeans that are too big for her. (She too has been losing weight) Of course, I said yes. I'm excited to get my booty into some Gap jeans. I haven't worn Gap clothes since I was in junior high school! My oldest daughter brought a couple of things over for me the other day...and they fit! A regular size 16 pants...not women's plus size.

It's a good day! I'm headed to the gym now...happy to be a loser.

6 comments:

  1. It must seem a little strange purging clothes that have such memorable meaning to you, however, you were the same Rennie "inside" when you attended those special events. I get the same melancholy feelings when I go through some of the clothes that I wore when I was with Mike, but I realize the real memories are in my heart. Now "you" are going to make more memories in "new" clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! Hugs to you!

      Delete
  2. FUN! Way to go. I'm also still laughing at myself because when I read that you wore GAP clothes in Jr High I thought...GAP existed then? I can say that since we are the same age. No slam on age. But considering where I lived all I knew was JC Penney. SLC might have had that but I doubt it. :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gap has actually been around since 1969. It started in San Francisco but by the time I was in junior high it was in New York. I only got things there because my aunt would buy things for me otherwise it was too expensive even then! (BTW...I only know about Gap's origination because my daughter works there.)

      Delete
  3. I wrote a paper in college once, about how our closets are really diaries of our lives, and the clothes are the pages of our experiences. You'll always have the photos of you in those clothes, but if you're like me, when you look at those photos in the future, will you notice the clothes, or the size that you were and the progress you've made? You're an amazing lady, no matter your size!!

    ReplyDelete