Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm sorry but I just can't relate to you Valerie Bertinelli


Ok...I'm not trying to diminish any one's weight loss here so let's just get that straight. She was on Good Morning America this morning and part 2 is on tomorrow so she's on my mind today.

Here are the statistics for Valerie. She is 5'2" tall, well really 5'2" short. Her starting weight before Jenny Craig was 172. First of all, I'm jealous that she has a "1" in the beginning of her weight. Her BMI was 31.5 prior to the weight loss, obese according to the BMI chart.

What I see in the above picture on the right is a voluptuous woman. She's curvy yes and I'm sure she doesn't have washboard abs but she's still gorgeous and sexy.

Although she did lose weight and was obese according to the BMI charts, I still think that's a crock to call her obese, her issues are different from a person of my size.

First of all...I think she could still have shopped for clothes at a normal size clothing store. She didn't have to go to Harry's Hefty Hideaway for her clothing. My guess is that she probably never wore anything more than a size 18. That may be large for a small person I understand that. But until you've gone into the size 22/24 range or heaven forbid the 26/28 range you DON'T know what it means to not find clothes! And there are larger sized women out there people! Their choices are even more limited!

I blogged about this once before on my private blog but for those who have not had the privilege of seeing that let me re-address the issue minus the photos.

It's a HUGE beef, ok probably a poor description for a person on a diet, of mine that a plus sized woman has such difficulty finding clothes that actually fit. That's one of my main motivations for trying to lose weight.

I'll accept having to wear a size 16 or 18 or even a 20 because you can actually purchase those sizes in regular stores. You don't have to search high and low for the TWO racks of plus sized clothes in stores like that. AND you don't have to purchase clothes from places called "More to Love"! That's a real place!

Have you ever looked around in Target? Do you see ALL the clothes for normal sized women in there? I mean seriously it's like half the store. Then there are MAYBE 4 racks of clothes in the "Women's" section. The clothes that they do have there are just larger sizes in the styles that they offer for the regular sized woman.

There are a couple of problems with that. I don't really WANT to look pregnant or fatter because the style for the time being is empire waisted shirts, I don't WANT to show off my fat arms with cap sleeves and I really don't WANT a banded shirt at the bottom to hug around the fattest part of my body. I wonder if Mossimo has ever tried his clothes on a person who was over a size 14, had more flesh around their middle than he has on his entire body or whose arms are the size of small toddlers!

Please everyone...size 14 is not plus sized! A size 14 person does not have the same issues as a person who wears a size 22/24!!!! Get a grip! Try your stuff on me! I'll come in and you can try and figure out how to fit your clothes on a real Plus Size Woman!

Ok...I just had to get that off my chest.

I'm happy for you Valerie but really, did it kill you that much to wear a fattie size 16 or 18? Are you feeling THAT much better wearing a size 2/4??? You're like the size of my thigh!

I'm sure you are feeling great and like you've climbed Everest but I just can't relate to you...on so many levels other than the weight loss.

I want to see Jenny Craig take someone really large and show them off as their poster child for weight loss. Heck, I'd even volunteer!

Congratulations Valerie. Now I'm going to go and join Richard Simmons in my living room to Sweat to the Oldies!

4 comments:

  1. Amen!!! You just put into words how I have felt for a VERY long time!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! You are awesome and beautiful!! I wish you luck reaching your goals!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your recent weight loss!

    Interestingly, I came across this blog when searching for before/after pics of Valerie Bertinelli because I do relate to her. I'm currently 40 pounds overweight (185 and 5'5.5") and a size 14/16. Around 16 months ago, I was a size 6 and 140 pounds, so for me this was a rapid, dramatic weight gain. Recently, I was shocked to discover that I am clinically obese. I can shop at normal stores, but it is very difficult to find sizes and styles that fit my body type, so I have recently begun to shop in the plus size section/stores. I think anyone who is overweight dreads going shopping for clothes since fashion is geared towards the underweight population.

    I have no desire to join Jenny Craig, but I have been inspired by Valerie Bertinelli's weight loss. I need to lose the amount that she lost and I'm eager to feel okay in my skin again. My health and well being is significantly impacted by my current weight. There is a spectrum of obesity and I'm at the low end, but obesity is dangerous and emotionally difficult for everyone.

    I wish you continued success in your journey towards a healthy weight. Thanks for raising awareness of these issues and sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alina, congratulations on your weight loss! Thank you for the comment on my blog. I agree with you that obesity is dangerous for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes no clutter is as disheartening as an abundance. Less is more.

    ReplyDelete